Work Study

Federal College Work-Study

The Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) program provides on-campus jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. To be considered, you should indicate your interest in work-study employment on the FAFSA you submit each year. The FCWS is generally awarded based on a 12 – 18.5 hours per week at $7.70 per hour. Students are paid monthly.

Students may earn up to their awarded amount or up to the departmental allocated amount. Since total earnings are based upon a school-wide Federal allocation, please be aware the amount you are allowed to earn could be less than the amount awarded to you. You will need to work with your employing department to determine the maximum amount you will be able to earn for the award year.

Federal College Work Study Job Description

Title Name: Financial Aid Work Study
Employee Category: Work Study
Job Title Code: FAWS
FLSA: Non-Exempt

Job Description Summary/Essential Duties:

Performs routine clerical duties; completes forms; provides information and instructions and gives hand-outs. Sorts and files records and reports. Answers telephone, conveys messages and runs errands. Sorts and distributes mail. Assists with mailings by addressing and stuffing envelopes. Makes copies and send facsimile. May performs other duties as required within the scope of the clerical position.

Physical Demands: Most incumbents work with light, easy to handle materials.

Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from high school or equivalent. Completion of Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) and ability to meet all eligibility requirements determined by FAFSA and institutional Financial Aid policy. No experience required. Some positions require typing. Oral communications skills to support interaction with varying levels of DCCCD staff, students and the general public.

*Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment with the District.

Application Process
  • If you haven’t already, complete the FAFSA (Free Application ifor Federal Student Aid). You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen to apply for federal aid. Make sure that you meet all of the requirements.
  • Log in to eConnect
    • Make sure you do not have any outstanding missing information/documentation that you may need to submit to the Financial Aid Office.
    • Make sure you meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.
    • Apply for the DCCCD Money Card.
    • Select a primary program of study.
  • Register for at least six hours (Fall/Spring) or three hours (Summer) and pay the tuition if you don’t have any other financial aid. You can set up a payment plan online through eConnect or in person at the Business/Cashier Office.
  • Print and complete the Work Study Information Processing Form and submit in person, by mail or by fax.
Available Areas for Work Study Employment