The mission of the CSM is to assist students with the Developmental Math sequence and prepare them for college level courses.
- Our Goals:
- To help each student maximize his / her potential in the classroom.
- To facilitate student’s insights into learning and learning processes.
- To empower our students to become lifelong learners.
- To help our students prepare for life beyond Richland.
- We strongly believe:
- Math coaches and tutors play a vital role in assisting students as they work toward achieving their academic goals.
- Every person can learn new processes and acquire new information.
- What a student brings to the CSM (knowledge, confidence, attitude, activities) influences the learning experience.
- The math coach or tutor is a guide, coach, and mentor.
- Errors are a part of learning and provide the opportunity for understanding.
- Students, math coaches, tutors, instructors, and college staff form a collaborative academic team that helps students maximize their potential.
- Our students are responsible for their own actions.
- In treating students as individuals, keeping in mind that each student comes to us with different skill levels and different strengths and weaknesses.
- It is better to create in a learner an understanding of a process than to produce a temporary product without that understanding. Therefore, we use probing questions to encourage discovery and thinking.
NOTE: Our services are offered in support of classes and not as a replacement for classroom instruction. In addition we do not check homework, or assist on tests/quizzes/evaluates. Faculty can rest assure that the work submitted by the student is their own and not the work of the CSM coaches or tutors.