Center for Success in Mathematics
|Artamease Hailes, Manager, Center for Success in Mathematics|
Front Desk: 972-238-6226
Mon-Thur: 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Fri: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sat: 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
For Summer & Flex Term hours, call 972-238-6226 or visit M216
The CSM offers students assistance with homework, review before taking tests, going over tests, refining study skills, and referrals to other college services. We offer face to face drop-in tutoring for all Richland students in all levels of Developmental Math. Tutoring and going over a test is provided on a walk-in basis. Math coaches and tutors circulate among all students needing tutoring. If a student is going over a test, the math coach will sit with him or her at one of the round tables in front of the room.
NOTE: All of our services are available for students enrolled in DMAT courses at Richland College.
What a CSM tutor or Math Coach does:
- Promotes independence in learning
- Facilitates students’ insights and light bulb moments
- Makes an effort to reinforce classroom methods
- Respects individual differences
- Refers students to resources
- Makes sure that the concepts are understood
- Models good learning habits
What a CSM tutor or Math Coach does not do:
- Teach or lecture class material
- Contradict instructor’s methods
- Know everything
- Do the work for the student
- Help on Lab Quizzes, Computer Evaluations, or Tests/Take-Home Tests
Students should respect the tutor or math coach. Tutors and math coaches walk around and assist students as soon as possible. If the student is waiting for assistance, the student needs to work on something else until the math coach or tutor can assist. If a student is waiting to go over a test, a math coach will call the student once he or she is ready to go over the test with the student. To ensure test security, the math coach will stay with the student until the test is reviewed completely.