Education 1300 Learning Framework
EDUC 1300 (3 credit hour transferrable course)
What can you expect in this course? The Learning Framework course provides the foundation for learning in core curriculum courses at Richland. We start with a vision of the autonomous learner as the ultimate prize. The world, even knowledge itself is changing so fast that unless we can learn how to learn, we’ll fall hopelessly behind. The learning theories studied will give you a sense of what is involved in learning and our attempts to learn, including strategies.
A Bird’s Eye View of Topics Covered in the Learning Framework Course
- Autonomous Learning- A vision of where we want to go, what we want to be and where we want to end up
- Learning Theories – An overview of how we try to learn.
- Self-Regulation – All the things we do for self-mastery.
- Metacognition – Gaining control of one’s own thinking system.
- Behavior Management – Gaining control of one’s own doing system.
- Evidence Based Learning – Using e-portfolio and other public
platforms to make thinking and learning visible.
- Critical Thinking – Learning to think well.
- Information Literacy – Wise use of information to support
- Ethical Reasoning – Learning to think well about right and wrong in human conduct.
Human Development 0092 Student Success
HDEV 0092 (3 credit hour developmental course)
If you are new to college and have not met the Texas Success Initiative standard in reading you are required to enroll in the HDEV 0092 Student Success course. What can you expect in this course? You will learn a great deal about yourself and how to increase your success in college, life, and work.
A Bird’s Eye View of Topics Covered in the Student Success Course
- The process of learning and how to maximize learning
- How to take notes in class and prepare for tests and assignments
- Effective textbook reading strategies
- Ways to improve attention in class
- Career and education planning and goal setting
- Positive psychology and wellness
- Time management
- Taking control of one’s life (behavior, stress, and
- Campus resources
- Using technology to support learning