In support of Richland College’s mission, the STEM Advising’s purpose is to foster relationships with Richland students. STEM advisors provide academic support and guidance to empower students to achieve educational and career goals to become successful in our ever growing and changing world.
Students we serve:
- Students transferring to senior institutions to pursue their bachelor’s degrees in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) degrees.
- Students pursuing a Technology degree, via an AAS or certificates, who are seeking to enter the workforce.
- Student planning to major in a pre-health career.
- Students pursuing a business degree, who are planning to transfer to complete their bachelor’s degree.
Services we provide:
- Degree options to students based on their educational goals
- Degree planning and class selection of the core curriculum and other courses that will prepare the student to be successful in the workforce and/or transfer to senior institutions
- File a degree plan and guidance on how to change the program of study on eConnect
- Registration of classes, fee receipt, and payment plan options
- Membership information on Phi Theta Kappa
- Assist with student class reinstatement form
- Claiming AP (advanced placement) credit
- General information on College Level Examination Program (CLEP) testing
- File TSI Certificate Waivers for level one certificates leading toward an AAS degree
- Provide scholarship information and guidance on application instructions
- Guidance and general information on how to apply for graduation
- Campus referrals
- Provide a quiet, safe, state of the art lab for studying
- Serve as student advocate
- Student tutoring in STEM fields
- Assist with Campus College transfer fairs
- Host annual BAAS Transfer Fair
- Host on campus job fairs, such as TI and Oncor
- Ensure a seamless transfer to senior institutions
- Communicate monthly with students about opportunities to attend job fairs and meet with employers
- Inform technology students about taking the associates of applied science degree to a bachelor’s of associate applied science degree
- Inform students via classroom visits regarding the importance of filing a degree plan and seeing an advisor
- Add/drop students from classes
Location: STEM Resource Center – Wichita Hall Room W159
Office hours: M-TH 8am-7pm, F 8am-5pm. Other times available by appointment.