Complaints or appeals specifically related to services for students with disabilities authorized by the Disability Services Office as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act should be addressed to the Director of Disability Services.
- A complaint is to be filed in writing. This complaint should contain the name and address of the person filing it, and briefly describe the alleged violation of the regulations.
- A complaint should be filed within 30 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow a filing of complaint. The ADA Coordinator shall conduct the investigation. These rules refer to an informal but thorough investigation, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relative to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the ADA Coordinator and a copy forwarded no later than 10 days after it is filed.
- The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made to the ADA Compliance Officer within ten (10) working days.
- Students may further appeal any of these decisions within the hierarchy of the institution. The next chain of command is the Vice President of Student Development.
- A student has a right to file directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) at any time.
- The Statute of Limitations for filing a complaint with OCR is 180 days from the time the incident occurred.