|Joe N. Johnson|
Program Coordinator – “Male Achievement Program”
Transition Coach – Foster Care Initiative
Lakeside Resource Center: EO82B
The Male Achievement Program (The MAP) of Richland College is a higher education based student development program which seeks to increase the retention of male/minority students while assisting them in developing practical leadership skills and achieving their personal, career & academic goals.
The mission of the Male Achievement Program (The MAP) of Richland College is to be one of the nation’s best higher education based retention-focused leadership development programs for male students which promotes personal, professional and educational growth & achievement.
Through mentoring, resource connections, programmatic activities and events The MAP aims to be a positive impact on participant’s lives. The program further aims to be a Syllabus for Success which results in participants becoming Symbols of Success to themselves, their communities and society as a whole!
- Peer Networking – Academic / Colleague support system
- Discussion Groups – “Honest, Relevant, Real-Life, Meaningful” talks
- Promote Completion – Associate Degree and Professional Certifications
- Leadership Development – Participant-coordinated and led activities
- Group Connection – MAP Program Apparel and Accessories
- Goal Commitment – Goal-Setting and Assessment
- Mentorship – Mentor Peers / Be Mentored by Faculty/Staff
- Workshops – ‘Academic Survival’ skills taught by Learning Center
- Character Development – Honor & Incorporate ThunderValues
- Academic Support – Emphasis on academic workshops, Support for Advisement, Degree Planning, college transfer information, and financial aid literacy
- Professional and Career Exploration – Collaborative efforts with Career Services, resume’ development, and exposure to professional and career opportunities